Wednesday, May 06, 2009

American Idol

Idol Last Night: I don't often disagree with the judges, especially Simon. But last night I think they got it completely wrong. First, everyone assumed it was Adam's night. I think his performance was everything everyone expected it would be. It sounded just like Led Zeppelin. So? We all knew he could do this. There's nothing special about it. Nothing really new in his rendition. No surprises. No shocking change-up. Just what we knew he could do. So why all the raging about how perfect it was?

Ditto with Alison, although she was still shy of great because she's not comfortable with the whole thing.

For Chris and Danny - the condescension of the judges was pathetic! "We know that this kind of music is not your thing . . ." Please! These guys are great, and they rocked. They both picked perfect songs for them, and they brought origniality and novelty to their performances that the other two didn't. Alison sounded like Janis, Adam sounded like LZ. Who did Chirs sound like? The Beatles? NO! He sounded like Chris! Did Danny mimic Aerosmith? NO! He made that last scream all his own, like it should be, and Simon blasted him for it.

I've never considered the judges on AI guilty of an attempt to sway the audience voting. Until last night. I think Chris or Danny should win it all.

So now you know it - I'm an American Idol nut. So? You wanna make something of it? Good clean TV. Hard to find.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Adam and Allison's duet rocked. Who thought you'd hear a Foghat song on Idol? Of the six songs, I owned 5 of the albums. They just don't make rock'n roll like that any more.......

Ron Benson said...

Yeah. Good Stuff.

Gabe said...

Yeah, Adam and Allison's duet was probably my favorite of the night. I loved Danny's scream at the end. I'm probably going to end up buying most of the songs on iTunes.