Friday, January 27, 2006

Parenting

The Benson Kids
Jono, Garrison, April, Jeremy
(A couple years ago at the foot of Mt. Rushmore)
*********

I was asked recently to reflect on my parenting. I don't like to think about it.

When I think about my kids, I see evidence of greatness. Each one (of four) have a weak spot or two, but they are good people. With qualities and gifts that have huge potential.

I do not pat myself on the back for this. In fact, I think it's just short of miraculous.

Because when I look back, I see so many times I did not do a good job representing faith, or the church, or Jesus. I am selfish, too often concerned for my own comfort and business. There were years when the Church was my master, and I offered leftovers to my wife and kids. It is amazing to me that all of my kids love Jesus, considering.

I am thankful to my wife; the good in them is from the good in her. I am grateful that God granted me good kids. I am grateful for the time of separation from Church. Not being a "full-time-pastor" for this season has offered a great reorientation to the real world.

2 comments:

Donna J. Shepherd said...

Great picture! God bless you and your family. - Donna

Steve Miller said...

For not liking to think about it, you came up with an awful lot to be thankful for, and a great look at the goodness of God.