Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Coach

When I reread my last post, I cringed at my selfism. "My name" on a book cover. Wow.

Fact is, the book is about a great guy, Coach Mike Gottfried, his life, and his passion: boys without dads. His work is accomplished through Team Focus, a program for fatherless boys.

I've written here about a coach in my life, memorable for all the wrong reasons. Coach Gottfried is memorable for all the right ones, and he is making a difference in the lives of young men across the country.

The first question Coach asked me was, "Ron, do you like sports?" I had to admit to him that I was a passive observer, not anything close to a fanatic. I love it when I can justify sitting down to a U of M game on Saturdays, but I couldn't tell you the names of the players. Coach Gottfried could have turned the car around at that point and found another author for his book. But he took a big chance and we worked together for about nine months to get the story right, to make an impact. And that is what I'm praying.

Here's a recent article about Coach in the Jackson Sun. Amazon has the book, Coach's Challenge, available for pre-order. It will be on the shelves in September.



No comments: