Thursday, November 17, 2005

There Otta Be a Law

I came close to losing it all in a car accident yesterday.

A Town and Country van was in the lane left of me and slightly ahead. The driver jerked right it into my lane, almost crunching my front left. He reacted and pulled back left into traffic on that side. Then back into my lane again, then into his own, then slowed to nearly a stop.

I looked back and he was behind me. I could see clearly in my rearview mirror: he and his passenger were embroiled in an argument. There was no doubt they were very angry, and if I'd had the skill, I could have told you what the whole thing was about.

They were signing. With their hands. Screaming with their fingers, yelling with wild, urgent gestures, so fast and furious their movement was a blur. At least one of the them was deaf, so the flailing was angry communication. The result? Eyes not on the road, hands not on the wheel, my life on the line.

I had a sign I thought I might give to them, had they been paying any attention. They didn't even hear my horn.

New rule: Don't argue, sign, and drive.

No comments: